Tuesday, August 25, 2009

School Shopping

I took my baby school shopping last weekend. On one hand, it was so much fun. I remember lots of fun back to school shopping trips I had with my mom when I was a kid. I hope this is the beginning of many fond memories I will have with my own daughter and shopping. And on the other hand, it was hard. Hitting these milestones means that she is growing up and becoming more independent. She needs her mom a little less each day and that hurts.

At least for now it is just preschool. And it is just two days a week that I am sending her off to the care of someone else, where she will hopefully learn things and prepare for kindergarten. Kids are in school for thirteen years so really, what does she need some five day a week, full day program for before she even starts her formal schooling? This is just perfect for us. She will get some time away from me in a classroom setting, interact with other kids and LEARN. And I will get to spend some time with my littlest ones and be able to give Serena some much needed one on one time.
I thought this day would never come. It seems not long ago that we toured the Mother's Day Out program in March, but I still didn't think it would come. It seemed so far off: I was going to be having a baby before it happened, there was a whole summer to enjoy. But somehow time passed, as it always does and here we are nearing September and it's time. It's time for me to let go of Calli just a little bit and send her off in the world. It's time for her to assert her independence and prove that she can do just fine away from the watchful eyes of her mother. There is no doubt in my mind that she will succeed.
This is what I call her "smart outfit". Doesn't she look super smart??

1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

She does look super smart!! It is hard to send them into the big world even if is it just a small corner of it. This is the first year I haven't cried since Viv was 2 going to her little class and even with Will I cried when he went to Kindergarten and first grade, but this year, I just smiled as they both left to do their thing!

Powered By Blogger