Friday, April 9, 2010

Racing Day, it's Racing Day

I completed my final training run last night, a measly two miles. I know for a lot of people two miles seems like a huge distance; I used to be one of those people! It is amazing the transformation I have gone through mentally and physically in the last few months. It feels like it wasn't all that long ago that I was pondering whether or not to sign up for a half marathon. At the time, I didn't know what I was thinking. I could barely run two miles!! I had only recently taken up the sport of running and I did all my work on the treadmill at the gym. What a difference a few months can make! I know I can finish this race, I have no doubts about that. And the greatest thing is that I will set a Personal Record no matter what :).

So now I just have to put the nerves aside and go out and do my best. My goal is to complete the half in 2.5 hours. I've read that the course is fairly flat so that will be a good thing for sure!! The weather is supposed to be perfect; around 60 degrees at the start of race time. Keep the wind away and it will be a gorgeous day! One of my favorite quotes as of late is "don't blame endurance for what can be blamed on heat, hills, humidity (and wind!)" I repeat this to myself when I'm out for my long runs so I know it's not really my fault that I'm getting tired; it's those damn hills and Satan's wind!

We leave tomorrow morning right after Calli's soccer game. It will be a long, but easy drive into Dallas. We plan to pick up my running packet at the RunOn store and check in to the hotel. I will take a shuttle to the fairgrounds (the start and finish of the race) early Sunday morning. They say they expect about 3,500 runners total with 2,500 of them doing the half marathon and the rest doing the full. Although the website says it's not a huge race, this is a bigger turnout than I've seen in either of my other races so I'm sure it will be a little overwhelming. If you want to see any info about the course or the race you can visit this link: http://www.texasmarathon.com

Other than that, there's nothing left to say. Wish me luck and check facebook for my race day stats!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger