Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Spirit

I have admittedly been having a tough time getting in the holiday spirit this year.  I think most people know that.  Saying it out loud makes me feel like a selfish, spoiled child.  I have three beautiful, healthy children, more presents under the tree than should be allowed and more blessings than I can count.  But for some inexplicable reason I just feel sort of apathetic about the holidays this year.  I always think of Christmas as a big family holiday.  Our traditions growing up were simple: Christmas Eve with one side of the family, Christmas Day with the other.  We had our own traditions in our immediate family and we spent time with extended family as well.  There was always lots of people, presents, food and memories.  When those are the things you are used to, having a simple, quiet Christmas with just my kids, my husband and myself feels abnormal.  I want to be a part of something big and exciting.  I want there to be lots of noise and celebration, lots of conversation and sharing, lots of family and laughter.  I know I will have these things, it will just be on a smaller scale.  I want to be able to be a part of each family member's Christmas and I want them to be a part of mine.  I want to see the faces of the recipients of our gifts as they open them, I want my kids to be able to share memories with their grandparents and I want to be able to do that myself.  I have learned in life that sometimes you have to let go of things and accept that some fun memories will always be just that: memories.  So I've let go of other holiday traditions with family, I've let go of having family around to help out in times of need, I've let go of the fact that we won't see them often.  But I just can't let go of my Christmas wishes and I don't want to.  Even when we lived half a world away we still were able to get back for the holidays and for years while we lived here we were able to get back.  But time passed, more kids were added to our family and plane ticket prices went up while my level of patience went down, making it impossible to be able to fly home for the holidays.  I thought it would be fun to start our own traditions and it has been: but I still like to be able to share the magic with family.  I like to be in California, where it feels more like Christmas to me.  Maybe it's the weather.  How in the world can a person feel the Christmas spirit when they are sweating in the heat and humidity in December?  Add to that the fact that we are suffering from allergies (this is probably the only place on the planet where the allergy count is off the charts in the winter) and I'm downright bah humbug about the whole season.

Okay, I am trying to focus on some positives.  There are some really fabulous presents sitting under our tree and more fantastic ones to be brought from Santa in two days.  The kids are going to love it.  This is the first year that all of my kids will be aware of what is going on on Christmas.  The last two years we were celebrating first Christmases with babies in the house and this year our youngest is eighteen-months-old and I honestly can't wait to see his face light up when he comes downstairs and sees what Santa has brought for him.  The girls are getting bikes from Santa, bikes that Santa worked hard to get, let me tell you!!  Santa went out to Toys R Us at 1AM on Black Friday to score these great deals on these adorable bikes.  Serena is getting a Minnie Mouse bike and Calli is getting a new 18" bike.  Just yesterday we were in Target and she randomly said to me "Mommy, I want a new bike, that is what I really want for Christmas".  I did a little happy dance inside because I know she will be beyond thrilled to see it under the tree on Christmas morning.  Jameson is getting a power wheels ride-on toy.  He loves the girls' Barbie jeep and we thought he needed something a little more manly and something that is just his.  Aside from those things we have many other great gifts under the tree waiting to be unwrapped, among them an American Girl Doll, basketball hoop for outdoors, Disney Store princess dress ups, Leapfrog game systems, Beauty and the Beast and some surprises that I don't even know what they are.  It is going to be a good Christmas for the kids, that is for sure.

I'm excited for that brief part of the day which is always over way too quickly.  The rest of the day will be filled with a big breakfast and lots of lazing around.

Next year.

Next year will be the year, I just know it.  Next Christmas I will be inviting you all to my home to celebrate with us.

I just know it.

Merry Christmas, from our family to yours!  Here are some photos from all the Christmas things we have been doing lately:

Christmas at Six Flags
 She is my only child who will sit on Santa's lap!

 Ice skating

 Snow!

 Christmas Parade in Boerne

 Santa and Mrs. Claus at Chik Fil A
 Cutting down our Christmas tree





Our annual Christmas photos.  We had them taken in old town Helotes and they turned out wonderful.  Our photographer was so nice and we have identical familes!  She has two older girls (a kindergartener and a three-year-old) and a little eighteen-month-old boy.  She is also from California (southern) and desperately wanting to settle down in Northern California. We made plans to get together after the holidays are over.  I'm pretty sure she's my long lost bff.



 This one is my favorite family shot.  I wish Serena was smiling, but that's the way it goes!!



 This is probably my favorite photo of the session


1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

I LOVE the pictures, they are beautiful!! Looks like some great holiday fun.

Powered By Blogger