Sunday, June 26, 2011

Serena's First Soccer Game!!

Serena is my shy little girl.  She is by far the most reserved of all my children.  To say she has come out of her shell A LOT in the last two years is an understatement.  She has gone from this clingy little baby who wouldn't leave my side to a little girl who feels comfortable branching out on her own.  I did not have high expectations for soccer when I signed her up.  She had her first practice two weeks ago and although she was hesitant to get out there by herself, she did it.  And you know what else?  She didn't even look over at me once to make sure I was still there.  She was so intent and focused on listening to the coach and playing soccer that I think she surprised herself and actually had a good time.  Despite that experience and another positive practice Friday evening, I still wasn't sure what to expect for her first game.

I shouldn't have worried though because she went out on that field and did everything I expected and more.  All I was hoping is that she would get out there, maybe run around a little and just enjoy herself.  She actually touched the ball a few times and even scored a goal (in the wrong one of course!) for the last play of the game.  The funny thing is, despite Calli being my outgoing little soccer star, Serena did so much better in her first game than Calli did in hers.  I just could not be more proud of my little Serena and if you have known her personality at all in the last few years then you know why I am so happy.  I thought I was in for major social battles with her when it came to playing soccer, dance, going to school, etc.  So far she surprises me more every day in the best way possible.



No comments:

Powered By Blogger