Friday, September 2, 2011

Boys will be boys!

Jameson Jameson Jameson.  Sometimes this kid cracks me up and sometimes he just plain infuriates me.

Today for example.  I knew I shouldn't have done it, but if you never give kids the chance to prove themselves then they'll never learn independence right?  We went to Target.  I told him he could walk if he stayed next to me and didn't run off.  I repeated myself many times and he always said "okay".  I don't bother telling this to Serena.  She is pretty much the child that everyone wishes they had and in fact announced to me as she was walking along "I'm staying next to the cart because I'm a good girl".  Yes you are.

Jameson not so much.  We turned down one of the wider, neverending aisles to take us from one side of the store clear to the other.  And that's when my mischievious son took off running, slowly at first and then faster and faster as he realized he was playing a game.  Looking back at me and laughing.  What was I to do?  Calling out to him only intensifies the game for him and ensures that he will move faster.  And I couldn't exactly push my cart and my pregnant belly crazily fast after him.  So I walked and watched as he turned a corner and disappeared.

I'm not much for panicking usually.  I figured he'd turn up.  And if someone took him they'd surely give him back after about a minute in his company.  It was just an annoyance more than anything.  And then as I was getting really worked up that I had to walk aimlessly around trying to find him, there he was.  He popped out of an aisle smiling and yelled "surprise".  I didn't know whether to smack him or laugh.  Okay, I was a little angry so I didn't laugh until later.  I just stuck him in the cart, which he didn't love, but maybe for next time he will remember (fat chance).

This little boy can be the most infuriating little sneak and the sweetest little cuddle bug.  He'll steal my phone when I'm not looking and hide behind the couch playing angry birds.  He will steal a toy from one of his sisters just because he can and run around laughing wildly while he is being chased.  He'll throw a block right at your head before you can even get the word "no" out of your mouth. (I'm pretty sure I've painted a picture of the most monstrous little boy with such little parental involvement that I should be ashamed of myself).  But the next minute he is holding his arms up to me wanting me to carry him upstairs for his nap.  He is speaking in his gibberishly cute voice trying to tell me something.  He's putting on his sister's shoes and dancing around the room to a Barbie boom box.  He's bringing Serena a tissue because she said she needed one.  He's lifting up my shirt to give the baby kisses and then trying to show me the baby in his belly.

How is it possible to love someone and yet be so frustrated with them at the same time?  I don't know.  I just know it is.

1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

LOVE the shoes!!! I know just how you feel, I couldn't love my kids more, I could burst I love them so much, but I think in the whole world they frustrate me the most too!!!
I wish your dream would come true and I could come for a visit. I would love to come see you guys!

Powered By Blogger