Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Still Running

Surprisingly enough, running has not disappeared from my life.  I wasn't exactly sure how I would feel once I completed my race and while I enjoy the benefits of running, I hate it.  I had little motivation to get out and run after we got home from Dallas.  Fortunately I retained some of my endurance and remember doing a six mile run no problem a week after my race.  But as the weeks went on I would always make some excuse to myself not to run.  I wanted to get out there 4-5 times a week but it was turning into 2-3 times.  Finally in order to get myself motivated I signed up to run a 10k in June.  I knew that this would force me out of the house and it did a little bit.  But I still wasn't getting in all the running time that I should.  So finally I got the brilliant idea to put myself on a training plan and lo and behold, I run!  The training plan calls for five days a week of running, but I've actually cut it to four and one day of crosstraining which is perfect for me.  I've also been doing some speedwork through tempo runs (where you start at a comfortable pace and build up to your 5k race pace about halfway through the run) and interval training (running a short distance at your 5k pace, recovering at a jog and then repeating x amount of times).  I've noticed a small improvement and wish I would have started the program a little sooner.  I don't think it will make much of a difference for my race, but I feel happy that I'm at least getting out there and running. 

I already feel like this race will be a piece of cake because it's half the distance of my last one.  Right when I signed up for it I knew I could do it.  It wasn't like signing up for my half marathon, where I had no clue if I could do it.  I have run much farther than this distance before and even last week ran seven miles for my long run.  I am excited for this race because I think it will be a lot of fun.  It is an all women's race in a town about an hour north of us.  The race starts at 8:30am which is what sold me because we won't have to leave at 5am to make it.  We'll be able to leave at a decent hour to drive up there.  I am sure it will be hotter because it's later than a normal race, but hopefully it will be okay. 

I have been running in the extreme heat lately and surprisingly enough, I haven't died.  It's not quite as bad as I thought it would be, but I've been lucky enough to do most of my runs when the sun is going down and not beating on me.  My issues have been with the humidity as it has been so strong in the air so far this year.  It's hard to breathe and makes you sweat like crazy, which weighs down your clothes, gets in your eyes, etc.  And the other thing that has killed me is the WIND.  I never really noticed how windy it is here until I started running.  And of course the wind can never come in from the south or the north.  I run an east to west route about 90% of the time and most of the time the wind is pushing against me as I step out my door and start on my way.  I get angrier and angrier as I run and it pulls me back; the east coast can keep their crazy winds thank you very much!!

I'm thinking the weather has to be a contributing factor for why people don't run here.  I am lucky to pass one when I am out for my evening runs and I never pass any on my morning runs.  It's pretty crazy!  I look forward to running in a place where I pass lots of others to keep me motivated.  When you do see others running it makes you want to pick up the pace and it gives you a distraction.  I don't necessarily like to run with a partner, but I would enjoy seeing others out torturing themselves like I do.

So what's next for me?  Aside from the race I have on Saturday (6.2 miles) I have a four mile race on the 4th of July.  It's actually right by our house, maybe two miles away so that should be fun.  Other than that I am scouring the running websites and there's just nothing going on, which disappoints me.  I know it's hot, but now I know I'm capable of running in the heat so I would love to get out there!  I wish Austin were a little closer because they have tons of things going on.  And I want more than 5ks.  I like challenging myself to do the longer distances and hope to run another half marathon someday.  I am not sure I will ever be able to work up to the full marathon but I might like to give it a shot sometime.  I try and remember that most people in San Antonio can barely run a mile and I should be proud of running shorter distances too.  But I feel the most sense of accomplishment every time I get done with a long run and I enjoy that feeling.  So I suppose I stick with it for the high I get when it's over.  And getting to eat the piece of cheesecake with no qualms doesn't hurt either.

1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

Hey,
I'm glad you are still running!!! I am too, but I have cut WAY down. I am only going 2-3 times a week and only going 4-5 miles. I was thinking we should do a 1/2 marathon together!!!! I know they have a race this Nov. in San Antonio. Wouldn't that be fun???

Powered By Blogger