Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Just another crazy day in Texas

I just sent Calli off to school all bundled up like an eskimo.  A long sleeve shirt, a sweater, a big jacket and a never worn scarf of mine to complete the look.  She's actually only walking maybe one hundred feet into the school, where they left the heater on all night, so I probably didn't need to do so much.  Don't tell other parents that though!!  If the temperatures here dip below 65 everyone pulls out their puffy jackets, gloves, beanies and boots and bundles up like we live in the arctic.  It's crazy and at least it provides me with some good laughs.  I remember when I was growing up I thought it was so not cool to wear a jacket or sweatshirt to school and I would go in short sleeves when it was 40-50 degrees outside.  I might have bundled up in the winter when it was colder though, I can't remember.  I do just remember freezing my behind off before school; our campuses were outdoors so there was no protection from the elements until the first bell went off and you could scoot to class.  I was probably a little crazy and I think Calli has inherited a little bit of that gene.  She doesn't really like to wear jackets and sweaters and usually I have to coax her into one if I think it's too cold.  I will send her to school in just a long sleeve t-shirt if it's not too cold and that's what she wants.  I'm not raising any wimpy kids who balk at the 65 degrees and turn to jackets and mittens.  The rest of you crazy people can load your kids down in that gear as they walk the one hundred feet into school, but I choose not to!!

I'm pretty sure we're experiencing record breaking cold here.  I woke up this morning to 20 degrees, with the wind chill making it feel like 5 degrees.  I had to step outside to see what that felt like for a second and I was kind of disappointed.  Sure it was cold, but I don't really know what I was expecting to be honest.  My heater meanwhile has been working overtime and hasn't turned off since I cranked it up to 70 when we woke up (I keep it at 62 at night).  I am fairly certain our electricity bill will not be too kind to us this month.  I've also had several friends experience power outtages and I am waiting for ours to go out because of the rolling blackout.  It angers me that those happen.  It is below freezing here and to leave people without power for an hour or two is just unacceptable.  I realize this can happen everywhere, but I just think that when you live in a city with a population of over 1.5 million, shouldn't the power company be a little more prepared for these issues?  If you can't then hand the job over to someone who can.

Meanwhile I'm sitting in my warm and cozy house enjoying a nice, hot cup of coffee.  I don't think I ever looked so forward to a cup of coffee as I did this morning when I woke up.  All in all, I am enjoying the weather.  It would just be a lot nicer if this whole city didn't overreact and lose their minds when the temperatures dip like this.  I realize it's quite a change from the norm, but other cities deal with this and more all winter long, so really what is the big deal!?  Stay home, go to work, bundle up, drive carefully and get over it.  Enjoy the cold while it lasts because we all know that hot, miserable summer is coming in a few short months and we will just be wishing we could go back to this time.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger