Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 1

Each morning when I wake up I think of two things that I am happy/thankful for.  Today (okay yesterday!) is the first day of this experiment.

#1
I am happy and thankful for the opportunity to stay at home with my kids.  So many women would give anything to be home with their babies and I am lucky to be able to do it.  This one is especially important because so many days my children drive me crazy.  So many days I wonder why I bother.  Take this morning for example: I had chosen to be grateful for my job of being a mom.  I was determined to make it a good day.  I would play and read with my kids and I would take advantage of being a stay-at-home-mom.  We got up early just like every other day.  Right before we left to take Calli to school Jameson started in on the mother of all fits.  It was awful.  It lasted through the car ride and until we got back home.  I was so annoyed!  Here I had decided that today I would be happy about staying home with my kids and they were making me wish I could drop them off at daycare and go to work!  The day was not starting out well and it was only 8am.

Something else I am trying to work on: letting it go.  I am a control freak.  I need to control every situation, even the ones that are beyond my control.  So I am trying to ask myself "can I control the situation?" and if the answer is no then I (am supposed to) let it go.  This is easier said than done, but I tried to put it into practice this morning.  Jameson had thrown a fit and had displayed absolutely terrible behavior.  I was angry at him, but it was over.  Could I control the past and what had already happened?  No.  All I could do was learn for next time.  So...Let.It.Go.

Instead of staying in all day, I decided to take the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for some fun.  I was grateful that I could entertain my kids by taking them to do something fun that they love...and grateful that I could go on a weekday morning when it's quiet and not crowded.

I'm grateful that I stay home so I can take Calli to school and pick her up every day and she doesn't have to take the bus or be in the care of someone else after school.  I'm grateful that I'm home to pack her lunch every morning so I know she is eating healthier (and cheaper!) food than what is served in the cafeteria.

I have difficult days staying home, just like every other SAHM does.  But I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I get to be here for all the smiles, the hugs, the kisses, the firsts and the moments.  And it's hard, but it's worth it.

#2
I'm grateful/thankful for the ability to walk.  Exercise has become very important to me.  You can find me at the gym nearly every day.  I do a lot of cardio.  I am so thankful that I have my healthy legs to allow me to be active.

Running is difficult for me and does not come naturally.  One of the things I think about during a particularly long or difficult run is how I am thankful that I can even do it.  I am sure there are many people who wish they could even take steps, let alone run with the wind.  I am lucky to have my healthy body that allows me to keep fit.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger