Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Planning a 1st Birthday Party!

Serena is turning ONE-YEAR-OLD in two weeks! This year has seemed to fly by, much faster than Calli's first year did. We have decided to go with an Elmo themed party and will just do something simple. We miss having our family close by and are sad that we won't be able to celebrate with everyone, like we did for Calli's first birthday. But we are trying to make the most of it and will have a small cake and ice cream party for the birthday girl. I ordered some Elmo invitations on ebay that should be coming this week. We also went to Party City yesterday and bought Elmo cups/plates/decorations for the celebration. Next up is shopping for a present for the birthday girl. We have something in mind that we want to get her - the girls are always fighting over Calli's ride-on princess toy that Grandma Keri got her for her second birthday. So we are going to get Serena her very own ride-on and I'm sure the kids will still fight over one or the other, but at least there will be two! So we are excited for our baby to turn one, which I guess means she isn't a baby any longer. But as we say to Calli, you will always be OUR baby! Someday I am sure Serena will come up with the same response as her sister "I'm not a baby! I'm the big sister!"

This past Sunday we had planned on going to Sea World. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and we woke up to wet roads. It ended up not raining at all that day, but the forecast called for a possibility and we just did not want to take the chance of getting stuck in the rain there. We have been there and done that and while it was quite an experience and funny to look back on, we didn't have a one-year-old in a stroller and a huge pregnant lady trying to navigate the slippery grounds. So instead we decided to go to a children's museum just outside of San Antonio. It is really great place and I always wish it was closer. We made the one hour drive out there and were all prepared to have a great day. Calli started out as her usual self, running around and playing with everything and everyone. As time wore on she became quieter and less enthusiastic. This should have been a clue to us right there. Anyone who knows our Calli girl knows that she is a great big ball of energy, she never sits still and makes friends whereever she goes! But it was like I was having to drag her over to each play center and encourage her to have fun. Finally all she wanted to do was sit on the bench next to me. I was frustrated because we had driven all that way to have fun and I thought she was just being difficult. I feel terrible still because I should have known better. Richard picked her up and took her over to look at something while I stayed with Serena. As I was watching her play, the thought finally came into my head that maybe she doesn't feel well. Not a minute later Richard walked by with Calli saying we had to go and that she had gotten sick. Of course, I felt just terrible. I wish she would have told me she had a tummy ache! When we got in the car I squeezed my big, pregnant self in the back between the two carseats and rubbed Calli's head as she fell asleep. The strange thing was, after getting home and taking a bath, getting into pjs and watching Pinocchio on the couch, she seemed to be just fine. I still don't know what caused it, but am very relieved it wasn't a stomach bug, or worse, food poisoning.

Anyhow, we have a very fun and busy month coming up. It is filled with another Spurs game, a first birthday, Easter, the start of Calli's soccer season and doctor's appointments. It is sure to go by too fast, but we will love every minute!
Calli controling the space ship
Calli playing in the ambulance
This was Calli's favorite place, but definitely not mine! The mini grocery store. It was a fun place, no doubt, but I was the one who had to gather all the items after she was done and put them back.
Serena and her puzzle. My children seem to be drawn to ladybugs.
She's got the money honey!
She looks happy, no?
I will try and explain this as best I can. There was a projection screen with images of falling rocks. When you moved close to the screen, the rocks would move around you. This is a profile shot of me and the rocks going around my huge belly. Pretty cool I thought!
Daddy and the girls with a Texas Longhorn. I think this may be the point Calli started feeling bad.
Horsie rides!
Calli making a withdrawal at the ATM
Serena the banker
Calli and Serena in the canoe
Serena was really interested in this campfire. She also loved the pots and pans and fish set up around it.
Calli on the porch swing
This picture breaks my heart. I took it at the end to have a memory of the crabby mood she was in. Turns out she just wasn't feel well. Poor baby.
And because I don't want to leave the blog on that sad picture, here are a few more. This is Richard and Serena.
My beautiful big girl. I like this picture of her much better!
Breakfast time!

1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

Soo cute. Looks like you guys are having fun! Cadey just turned one, but she still is not walking!! It's fun to see how they are all so big and doing so many funny things!!

Powered By Blogger