Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Calli started taking swimming lessons on Monday. It has been a rough two days for her to start, but I think she is still having fun. The classes are Monday through Thursday from 9:45-10:30. It's a little hard (especially on me!) having the classes each day, but I wanted to get at least one session in before the baby gets here because I don't know that we'll have time after.

Anyhow, yesterday we got ready and left the house and I had a nagging suspicion that I forgot something. We were sitting at the light to get onto the freeway and it hit me: I forgot her towel! We couldn't very well arrive without a towel to dry off at the end so we had to turn around and get one. Luckily we were still on time, but I really hate being in a rush. It's not the easiest thing to quickly get two kids out of the car and try and carry one as quickly as my pregnant feet will take me. (Today it was the sunscreen I forgot, but I didn't turn around for that one. It was cloudy out anyway and Calli inherited the same Italian genes her Grandpa James and Auntie Brittany have and she doesn't burn easily, just tans. If only Mommy and Daddy were so lucky!).

They all sat on the edge of the pool before getting to go in the water. Calli is just a fish so you know she was itching to get in!

They were practicing blowing bubbles in the water (Calli had just finished)
Floating on her back
Kicking her legs
Serena watching Big Sister swim. I don't really have to be nervous about her around the water because she hates swimming. So I wasn't too concerned she may go near the pool and jump in. Sure enough, she kept her distance from the water.
Practicing her arm motions
Practicing her arm motions again
They all lined up to get ready to jump in
And there's Calli jumping in the water!

She had lots of fun. The only incident yesterday happened a couple minutes into the class. They were all standing on the ledge just inside the pool and Calli was moving around and ended up falling off. They quickly pulled her head up, but she was startled for a moment and exclaimed "I falled" when she got up. It was kind of funny and she shook it off and was just fine.

Today, however, there were a lot of bees around the pool for some reason. When I sent Calli to walk over to her class I saw her step on something and then she tried to get it off her foot. I just kind of assumed it was a rock. When she reached the rest of the class the teachers were also looking at it and then finally one of the parents said that she had stepped on a bee! It ended up stinging her, but she never made any noise or sound like it hurt. Unfortunately the stinger was in there and one of the lifeguards tried to get it out with tweezers, but Calli is Calli and didn't want those things anywhere near her. We tried for awhile to convince her, but she wouldn't hear any of it and just continued to freak out. Finally I let her go back to her lesson and might try to get it out again tonight if I can. I am not anticipating it to be an easy task!

So hopefully tomorrow's lesson is a bit less eventful :)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger