Thursday, July 29, 2010

Finding my motivation to run

Running has been so hard for me lately.  I want to keep with it, I want to be a "runner" but it's been so discouraging lately.  Some days I have zero motivation to get out there, but I know those cookies I ate or that bowl of ice cream is just sitting in my belly waiting to be burned off.

But I really have figured it out; why no one runs here, that is.  The last two nights it has been cooler than usual.  It is still 85 degrees out, but there has been cloud cover and it is just not as sweltering as it usually is.  Let me tell you, this has made a HUGE difference.  I have had runs lately where I struggled to get to three miles.  I have been going to the gym more and getting on the treadmill because, while the treadmill isn't ideal, it is easier to be in an air conditioned room than outside.  So I've been able to do about four miles per run, but it isn't my ideal way.  But I finally get it.  I took up running in November when the temperatures were much cooler.  I thank God that I chose that time of year to get into the sport because I would have died if I picked it up now.  I am so thankful that all of my training for the half was in the winter months and that my race was in April, when it was still fairly cool and NOT HUMID.  Running here is like torture and it's supposed to be enjoyable if it's something you choose to continue to do right?!

Monday evening I had to cancel my run thanks to thunderstorms so I was determined to go on Tuesday.  We had soccer practice at 7pm and dark clouds, but I really wanted to be able to at least do some exercise.  By the time I ran out the door it was after 8pm and the rain was threatening.  I made it four pretty easy miles thanks to the cool weather and got in after dark for the first time since my winter half marathon training days.  Toward the end I noticed a lightning storm to the west.  If that's not a clue to cut your run short (I was hoping for five miles) then I don't know what is!

Yesterday I decided to start a training program for my upcoming five mile race.  I've found that putting myself on a schedule really helps me stay motivated, no matter if the race distance is short.  I always still end up skipping days or changing it around, but for the most part I stick to it.  Last night I had a thirty minute tempo run and was grateful for the cooler temperatures.  I managed to finish just over three miles in the thirty minutes, holding a 9:30 pace for most of the run.  I spent half a mile going up a hill, which killed my average time.  It has been so long since I've completed a three mile run in under thirty minutes: I've been averaging 32-34 minutes and just being happy with being out there and running instead of focusing on my time.

I've really been trying to focus on my breathing lately and making sure it is slow and even and that has actually been helping.  I am due (overdue) to get more running shoes and I'm excited to go and pick some out.  I am not sure if I will stick with the same ones I have now or try something new.  I plan to have a gait analysis and if they recommend different shoes then I am open to new ideas.  If nothing else really strikes my fancy, I will stick with my Nikes; I have been pretty happy with them and I love Nike and love the look of these too (the toes are rounded, where most running shoes are pointy toed and funny looking).  Shoes are a big thing.  I would love to have the desire and drive to try barefoot running, but I just don't think I can.  Running injuries start with the shoes and the best thing you can do for your body is to lose them.  I just don't want to run my body into the ground and cause problems for myself later in life, but barefoot running...I just don't know!

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the cooler weather BIG TIME.  Unfortunately I've got awhile to wait and I'll just suck it up until then.  I'm slightly encouraged now though because I may think of training for that second half marathon.  Over the winter of course...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger