Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Are You Afraid of the Dark?


This title of my blog reminds me of that show on Nickelodeon that I used to watch all the time. I used to think it was the scariest show ever! They just don't make TV for kids like they used to. Now we are stuck with Spongebob and Hannah Montana, ick!


Anyhow, Calli is afraid of the dark. I feel a little more than partly responsible. First of all, I think it's in her genes. I was a big 'fraidy cat of the dark when I was a kid (still am a little!). I just don't like the idea of there being things that you can't see. Everything bad seems to happen at night, when it's dark out. It's just not a very comforting time. I used to be absolutely petrified of the dark. I always had to have my closet doors closed all the way before I could sleep because that looming black hole was way too scary! I checked under my bed of course before turning out the lights. And I slept with a big flashlight, which I turned on every few minutes to make sure there was nothing lurking in the corners. I pulled the covers all the way up to my chin, even on warm nights because I was convinced this meant I was safe and nothing could get me. I was a bit of an odd child now that I look back on it!


Anyhow, so I feel partly responsible for Calli's fear, given that it is in her genes from her crazy Momma. The other reason I feel responsible is that we had put a nightlight in Calli's room from a very early age, before she could request such a thing. Now I think we should have just gotten her used to sleeping completely in the dark and maybe she wouldn't be so scared (this might not have worked out that way, but we could have tried). So that nightlight bulb burned out and the past few nights she has been in complete darkness. Last night she woke up around 10:30pm crying out and when I got to her bed she said she was scared over and over. I thought maybe she had a nightmare, but she said she was scared of the dark. Poor thing! I didn't think the nightlight was such a big deal, but it turns out that it is. So we pulled the one we have in the upstairs hallway and put it in her room and she slept fine.


One problem with this fear of the dark is that she is ready to potty train at night. She has been waking up dry each morning and the past three nights has woken up to go to the bathroom. The thing is, she won't get up and go on her own. She calls out for Daddy or me to come get her and take her. No matter how many times I tell her before bed that she can go on her own, she still calls out for us. So now there will be no more water left by her bed, no big drinks before it's time to sleep and we'll be having her go before lying down for the night. I am glad that she is ready to take this big step and be sleeping in underwear soon, but (especially having a newborn soon!) I can't get up every night so she can go to the bathroom.


Perhaps I can just give her my old flashlight...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger