Monday, April 20, 2009

Our Week at a Glance

Well it has been a busy busy week and a half to say the least! It's just been a whirlwind of appointments, things to do, unexpected things coming up and it doesn't appear to be slowing down for awhile!

Last Monday I took Calli for her second ever haircut. She had her hair trimmed for the first time just after she turned three. It was really hard for me because she had these beautiful curls mostly at the ends and was always getting compliments on how gorgeous her hair was. I knew that once they were cut, they weren't coming back. But her hair looked much healthier afterward and a few of the curls even stayed. So I had put off a second haircut for awhile knowing that the last of the curls would be going with it. Finally her hair was just so long and unmanageable that I couldn't take it anymore so I scheduled her haircut appointment at the same cute kids' salon we went to the first time. She got to sit in a Barbie Jeep and watch Nick Jr. while the stylist cut her hair. We got about four inches taken off and some layers in the front and it looks so much healthier and is so much easier to brush. While there the stylist asked if we were cutting Serena's hair as well and I thought "are you crazy??" Haha, it took me over three years to cut my first daughter's hair so I think she has awhile still. It will be interesting to see if our little boy comes out with hair and how his first haircut will go. Richard was very very bald as a baby, whereas I had a ton of hair when I was born. So the girls both had tons of hair and I am wondering if the boy will take after his daddy and be hairless! I am also wondering how I am going to feel about this; I think the cutest babies have hair.

Anyhow, on Tuesday we met a friend and her kids for a playdate at a really fun play place across town. We've been there twice now and it is just a really great place for kids. Serena was super clingy to me though for some reason and has been pretty much ever since that day. I think separation anxiety is in full swing and I am honestly terrified. With a new baby coming in just about a month, how is she going to feel when I can't be right by her side 24/7? So we've been trying to get her used to not having all the attention: we try not to pick her up and carry her around all the time and try to ignore the little tantrums. I have a feeling that once the baby comes I won't be leaving the house too much!

Wednesday I dressed the girls up in the morning and went to get their pictures taken at Sears (mostly for Serena's 1st birthday). Well she was not having that and after about twenty minutes of coaxing, pleading, bribing, etc. I had to just give up. She is just not a picture taker! It is such a change from Calli, who always had a smile and a laugh for the cameras. We're going to take a break from pictures until early July and then we'll get Calli's four year shots, Serena's one year shots (maybe) and new baby pictures. I can't even get two kids to sit still together and I am taking on three!

Friday I had a doctor's appointment for a prenatal check-up at 9:30am. It was raining that morning and the roads were slippery. On the way to my doctor I passed TWO car accidents, which should have been my sign right there! About five minutes from the doctor I was in my own accident. A truck to the right lane of mine must not have noticed me right next to him because he changed lanes right into me. I braked and tried to swerve to avoid him a bit, but still ended up hitting at my front right side bumper. The median was grass, but there happened to be a small opening right where we were so I pulled into that and had to calm down for a minute. Meanwhile, the truck just drove off! I can't figure out if he didn't know that he hit me or what. After I regained my composure, I drove off and happened to be going the same direction as him. At the next light I pulled up behind him and got down his license plate number. I also followed him a bit longer, thinking maybe he would pull into a parking lot or something, but he never did!
I continued onto my doctor's appointment, where I found out I have to have weekly Non Stress Tests because of the abnormal prenatal screenings I had in the beginning (everything is still fine, it is just a precaution). For the NST they put you in a tiny room (seriously about ten feet by ten feet) with a recliner in it and place a monitor around your belly to keep track of the baby's heart beat. Every time you feel a movement you have to push a button and it all comes out on a chart. You have to sit there doing that for 15-20 minutes. I was thinking no way would this work! I had to be still in a chair and let my kids just be wild. I was thinking Serena would freak out or want to be held. The kids did surprisingly well. Serena made a nice present for me in her diaper about two minutes into the test, which was just lovely! She then emptied the contents of my diaper bag all over the floor and meanwhile I just had to sit there and couldn't do anything! It was hard. Finally it was over and I get to go to my room and found out that I'm being examined starting today! The doctor also wheels in an ultrasound machine. Something about a dip in the heartrate after movement could indicate low amniotic fluid. She said most doctors wouldn't even check this but she likes to be cautious (everything was fine, the baby has plenty of fluid). All in all, this appointment that was supposed to take about ten minutes ended up taking about an hour.
We met Richard for lunch after this and when we left it was POURING rain. Serena went down for her nap at home and I called the police to file a report about the accident. I was told since we live outside city limits that they couldn't send anyone to my house. I would instead have to drive to a grocery store or gas station or SOMETHING inside the city and they would dispatch an officer there. Well with the thunder and lightening and sleeping baby upstairs it really didn't make much sense to go do that right that moment. Instead I called our insurance company and filed the claim there. They were able to run the truck's plates and come up with an address and send them a letter about what is going on.

Friday also ended very painfully when the Sharks lost the first game of their series. I don't want to talk about it.

Saturday evening we went to BJs to use the gift card my parents' had sent me for my birthday back in January. We love BJs, but it is on the other side of town and located in a place where there is terrible traffic anytime of day. It is kind of like our side of town, with stop lights on the freeway, but it's even worse. Anyhow, we finally braved the traffic to eat there and it was great as always, especially the pizookie!! We walked around a couple of the stores that were nearby and I got Serena the cutest bathing suit at Gymboree. It is a yellow one piece with a skirt and a ladybug on the front. I had wanted a two piece, I just LOVE little babies in two piece bathing suits (plus it makes diaper changing a snap) but I couldn't pass this one up.

Sunday was my little sister's 21st birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLISON! We ran a few errands and I got her the best birthday present, which I'll have to share later on the off chance she reads this before she gets her package.

So that brings me to today! I had an appointment this morning to get a free estimate on my car's damages at 10am. After that I decided to swing by the YMCA and get Calli signed up for the summer soccer league (she'll be playing U-6 instead of U-4 this time, how exciting!) and swimming lessons, which start on May 11th. She is going to have so much fun! On the way home I decided to stop at Walmart and return the movie we had rented Friday night at Redbox. I decided, what the heck, I am in a parking lot in the city so I'll just call and make my accident report now. I only had to wait about ten minutes for the officer to show up. Basically there is not much they can do besides what my insurance is already doing about it. I think if you are involved in a hit and run accident, even a minor one like this, you should be fined! It is kind of ridiculous.

So that has been my day. I feel very productive. We'll have a busy next few days as well. Tomorrow I am meeting with my maternity photographer to order the pictures we had taken. Wednesday I'm taking Calli to a Little Sprouts class at a garden store where they make crafts for Earth Day. She also has her soccer pictures that night. This weekend brings Calli's soccer game and *possibly* a mini vacation starting on Sunday if we decide to do it. I'll keep you posted ;).
I haven't taken many pictures over the last week, but here are the miniscule amount I did manage to snap:
Here is Serena's adorable bathing suit!
I have realized I am not a very good photographer. This would have been a super cute picture if half of Calli wasn't cut out. But in my defense, I was anticipating them walking faster and trying to move the camera where I thought they would be.
You can see her whole suit in this shot
Calli got to run through the sprinklers on Sunday. She was so excited when she heard the idea. Unfortunately it wasn't hot out so she took a few runs and decided she was done because it was too cold. This activity will be much more fun in a few weeks when the temperatures are scorching.

And lastly here is Calli meeting the Easter bunny a week and a half ago. Where is Serena you ask? She would be in my arms sobbing her little heart out because mean mean Mommy made her get near that big bad bunny. Right before it was our turn she started to walk toward the bunny and I thought "maybe, just maybe, this will work". I picked her up and followed Calli up to the bunny and she hopped into his arms right away. I got Serena close and that was it! Hands went up in the air, body went limp as she tried to slip out of my arms and as far away from the bunny as possible. I tried sitting her in my lap next to the bunny and no, not happening either! Finally I just decided to let Calli be in the photo alone. Maybe next year (HA, yeah right!)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger