Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Childrens Museum

Last Friday we had a playdate with a soccer friend. The mom was my assistant coach last soccer season (and will be again this one). They are a very nice family, brought here because of the military and living about five minutes from us, and I'm glad that we've kept in touch and become friends over the last year. Her daughter is in a private school pre-k full time so we don't get too many opportunities to get together. We usually set things up for days that her daughter has off of school and last week we decided to check out the San Antonio Childrens' Museum. Neither of us had been before, although we have been to the Childrens' Museum in New Braunfels, which is about an hour drive from us. I had heard that was a great museum even before we went there and it didn't disappoint! We love that place and wish it was much closer so we could go more often. But I realized we had this other museum much closer and although I hadn't heard good things about it, I figured why not check it out, how bad could it be?
Now I don't mean that it's BAD. And maybe my opinion is jaded because I went to the other childrens' museum first, but I was very disappointed with this place. It is pretty old and although they've made some updates, it's still pretty lacking. The McKenna museum (in NB) is a very big, open area, whereas this one was very closed off: we couldn't let the kids just run around on their own. Plus it had three stories so we had to follow them everywhere. They were pretty bored at first until we finally found the mock grocery store downstairs and then they had a ball going shopping and checking out at the register.
Serena went for the Lean Cuisine style Mac and Cheese right away - she loaded up on a few boxes. I asked her if she wanted some fruit snacks also and she nodded yes and grabbed them out of my hand so fast! (my little fruit snack monster!)
We headed to the bubble room next and this place was fun, but we all got a little too wet. They had this contraption that you could use to make a bubble around yourself. It didn't work very well though and it kept popping way too early. I love Calli's face in this photo because her bubble had JUST popped again and she was getting annoyed, haha.
Finally we stopped at the ball section on the way out. They had all these different tubes that you could put the balls in and they popped out different places. This and the grocery store were the best exhibits there.

All in all, while I'm glad we went to check it out, I wouldn't go here again. If I want to go to a childrens' museum, I will drive out to the other one instead of waste my money here. The kids have more fun and it's just a nicer place. It's disappointing that this one didn't turn out to be better, but that's how it goes I guess!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger