Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Day at the Doctor

I am beginning to feel as if I should just live at the doctor. Or better yet, hire one to move in with us because we seem to have had constant medical needs over the last two years. I have pretty much been pregnant for the better part of those years, so there is a well worn trail from my house to my doctor's office. We've also had many well-child visits for Serena, which are spacing out more now that she's over a year. And then Jameson was born and stayed in the hospital for ten days and has been to the doctor three times so far. Today it was Calli and Serena's turns for appointments. Next week I go, then Jameson again a few weeks after and Serena's eighteen month check-up will be here before I know it. As I said, we need some kind of medical personel on call to come so we don't have to leave the house.
But I digress. As I said, Calli and Serena were the ones needing to be seen by the doctor today. Calli had her four-year check-up and Serena had her fifteen-month check-up. Calli was excited to go to the doctor, even excited about getting a shot. She hadn't had shots since she was two, so of course she didn't actually remember that those are not very fun!
Anyhow, I packed up all the kids and made the trip to the pediatrician's office for the 10:15am appointment. I love the new pediatrician we see because he is so thorough and caring. At the well-child visits he spends 20-30 minutes with us, answering questions, going over things, etc. And since we had two kids at this appointment, he was with us about an hour. Our other pediatrician would see us for 5-10 minutes, but I really love this doctor's approach. It's easier to trust someone with your childrens' lives when they take the time to get to know them and care. And I will always be thankful to him for catching Jameson's low oxygen in the hospital, which led to the eventual diagnosis of pneumonia. I am guessing it would have been caught eventually during our hospital stay, but catching it right away was ideal.
I was a little surprised by the girls' heights and weights. I see Calli as this tall, skinny girl and Serena as the chunkier one (but in a good way, it is CUTE chunky-monkeyness!). Calli weighed in at 33.4 pounds (30th percentile) and was 40.5 inches tall (only the 67th percentile). I was expecting her height to be close to the top of the charts. People always comment how tall she is, but I guess she is really not that tall after all! Serena weighed 22.2 pounds (40th percentile) and was 32 inches tall (90th percentile). I was totally surprised at her measurements! Maybe she just seems bigger to me because the other baby I carry around is a newborn (Jameson weighed in at a chart topping 11.6 pounds last week). So apparently she IS tall and skinny.
They are both very healthy and did so well with their exams. Calli was a breeze of course and I was a little concerned with how Serena would be. She is not that crazy about people she doesn't know, but she did really well! The doctor had me hold her on my lap and she only cried once for a second and then was fine. She even gave him high fives after he was done! Luckily for me Jameson fell asleep right before the physical exams and stayed asleep until......
Calli got her shots. She started to get a little nervous and tell me she didn't want a shot and what can you do really? I mean, you know it's going to hurt and you don't want to lie to them, but you don't want to freak them out any more and tell them it will hurt. She couldn't even sit in my lap either, she had to lie down on the table and get all four shots in her legs. I had to hold her arms, which proved to be extremely necessary because when the first stick went in she started screaming her lungs out. I wanted to just cry of course and it couldn't be over fast enough. Afterward she got band-aids on her legs and I held her for a minute. She told me she never wanted to go to the doctor again! Luckily she doesn't have to go back until she is five, phew! Needless to say, Jameson woke up after that.
Serena got lucky and didn't have to get her shots today. I am sure she would have been just as much of a nightmare as Calli. I got a copy of our records at Serena's last appointment at our old doctor when she was one. They must have forgot to update the records to show the shots she had that day, even though the receptionist specifically told me she was putting them in there. So I have to get that sorted out and then take Serena in just to get the vaccines. And Jameson gets vaccines at his next appointment, so the fun is just never ending for me!
These pictures aren't exactly new, but they are cute nonetheless!

Baby feet! Is there anything sweeter?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger