Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Years Resolutions

I am not sure that I have ever made resolutions for the new year in my life.  I'm just not the kind of person that sits down to think about the things I hate about myself and want to change.  And I look around and watch others make resolutions that last maybe a month.  Do any of us actually follow through, until the next new year?  Why bother, right?!

Well this year I have decided to make a few.  I know I'm a little late to the game and it's already a week into January, but I think you should be able to have the whole first month to be able to make resolutions.  So here are mine:

1.  Spend more time with my kids.  I want more one on one time with each of them and more time spent as a family doing things rather than just sitting at home.  I want to spend more time playing with them.  I am not a "play Mom".  I am a do-the-dishes-fold-the-laundry-hold-on-I-gotta-check-my-facebook-time-to-make-lunch/dinner/breakfast/snack-do-you-need-a-timeout kinda Mom.  I can try harder and I can find the time to spend playing with my kids on the living room floor.  Or reading books together, playing games, even watching TV, as long as it's together.

2.  More hugs, less yelling.

2.  Be more positive.  I spend a lot of time in the negative.  My glass is usually half empty.  I make excuses.  I say that if others were nicer, if the weather was better, if the scenery was prettier, if my family was closeby.  I need to accept the place I am at in my life and allow myself to try and enjoy it despite my surroundings.  I want my kids to remember my happiness, not my bad attitude.  Life will never be perfect and I will never have every single thing that I want so why not make the best of what I do have, which is a wonderful family, healthy kids, supportive parents, good friends, a roof over my head in times of economic downturn and endless possibilities stretched before me.

3.  RUN.  I have beeing slacking so much on this front.  I have not run in nearly a month!!  I read that that is pretty typical of runners over the holidays though so it's much to my relief that I'm normal.  I recently sat down to read my last two issues of Runner's World magazine and it seemed nearly every article spoke to me in some way, trying to inspire me to just go for it again.  It's always hard to get back into the swing of things and I am sure my endurance has suffered, but if I make it a priority then I can do it.

4.  BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD.  This is one of my favorite quotes.  I can apply it not only to myself and my life, but to helping others.  If I want change in my life, go out and get it and work for it.  Nothing comes for free and nothing is easy and honestly, if it is then it's probably not the right path.  Lord knows I want change in my own life and I will work my damndest to get it.  Helping others is also something I feel a strong pull toward in my life.  It can be something as simple as holding a door open for someone in need or donating food to feed the hungry.  This desire has turned me toward wanting those careers in life that won't pay much, but will be rewarding in the ways that truly matter.

5.  My last goal for this year is GET BACK TO SCHOOL.  It is my turn to get into the college classroom and learn.  I want to get my higher education and go out and do something more in this world.  I am ready to dedicate myself to school, but of course it's something that takes more than just yearning: it takes time and money and hopefully we can find a good combination of both during this year to enable me to pursue this resolution.

Those are my resolutions: what are yours?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger