Sunday, January 23, 2011

Princess Tea Party

I love The Disney Store!!  I am there at least once or twice a month and I love to clearance shop mostly.  I hardly buy anything full price nowadays.  I got these great Minnie Mouse sweats there for $5 each and a hoodie Minnie jacket for Serena for $10.  And not to be left out, Jameson got a pair of Mickey Mouse (playing hockey) pjs for $5.  I also discovered the Disney outlet last weekend on my trip up to Austin and OH.MY.GOD, is about all I can say.  The princess dresses were marked down to $16 there.  I almost totally lost it and bought four dress ups, but I limited myself to one per girl (Serena got Minnie and Calli got Belle).  I wanted to get Jasmine, Aurora and Pocahantas too, but I am wondering if it's truly for my kids or if it's just me living vicariously through them and their pretty dresses?!?

I digress.  Where was I?  Oh, I LOVE DISNEY.  Oops, I almost got sidetracked again and started talking about Disneyland and how we can't wait to go someday.  Luckily I brought myself back before I began typing THAT sentence.  So on to our adventures on Saturday.  The Disney Store was having a Princess Tea Party and we were so excited (Richard and Jameson especially!).  Okay, really it was just Calli and me to be totally honest.  Serena does not really love to dress up in public, but I fought her into her Cinderella dress, telling her she could change after the party.  Calli went as Belle and looked beautiful!

We got there for the first session of two and it was way less crowded than I anticipated.  It was really nice actually not having a madhouse of little princesses.  First they got in line to get their crowns.  The lady asked their names and wrote them on the crowns and I was totally surprised when Serena was asked her name and SHE ACTUALLY GAVE IT TO THE LADY.  Of course, I had to tell her that "Sena" was actually "Serena", but I was shocked that Serena volunteered to talk to a stranger.  Watching her yesterday I could really see her starting to come out of her shell just a little.

After the crowns the girls played princess trivia and then got to decorate little teacups with some jewel stickers.  Then they played a game, got some stickers and a coloring page and that was about it.  They had fun and it was free, so what more can you ask for?!

After our adventures at The Disney Store we decided to go for lunch.  I had bought a Groupon for a new restaurant called The Yacht Club.  Actually my friend and I tried to go there for lunch on Tuesday, but they were closed.  They didn't have their hours posted on their window (what business doesn't have hours posted?!?!) and a search of their website from my iPhone said that, yes indeed they should have been open.  My friend went next door to ask and was told that they just started being closed on Tuesdays due to slow business.  Hi, if you are going to be closed, post your hours.  We weren't the only ones there wondering what was up.  The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, but I had that Groupon and the place has a huge play area outside so we just had to try it out.

The food was nothing to write home about, but it was eatable.  The thing I actually care about is my kids being happy.  As long as there is something to play with I can eat bad food.  We go to a few restaurants that aren't the best in town, but they have play areas and I can eat without my kids being in my face.  The Yacht Club has two big Rainbox Play systems on astroturf (it's the greenest thing you will see in San Antonio!!) and a sandbox.  My only real complaint is the location.  I realize for some crazy reason this city is built around it's freeways and EVERYTHING is located ON the freeway (don't even get me started), but this place just felt especially close.  It wasn't as peaceful and it was quite loud with the cars rushing by on the freeway, but that's just the way things are here.  All in all, we'll probably go back before the hot weather hits.  This is not a good place to go in the summer, as the whole play area/outside eating is not shaded at all and the sun just beats down on you.  Actually Richard has been complaining all day of a sunburn from yesterday's 60 degree weather, so we definitely won't be back when the temperatures rise ;).

All in all, very very fun morning/afternoon!

The girls walking into the mall on the way to The Disney Store
 Waiting for the party to start

 Waiting in line for their crowns


 Sharing tea with her sister


 Playing princess trivia.  Serena never actually knew the answers, but I was happy to see her just raising her hand and getting involved!  So unSerena.
 The perfect princess moment
 The boys had SO MUCH FUN
 The girls with their cups
 Playing the sugar cube game (they had to get the sugar cubes from one cup to the other carrying them on their spoons)

 This would have been a cute photo if Calli's eyes were open.  She loved all the play equipment at the restaurant.
 Playing in the sandbox.  That kid Jameson is looking at started throwing sand on him while I was taking a photo.  I would be horrified to see my child throwing sand on anyone, much less a one-year-old, but I'm assuming the parents didn't see.  Wouldn't surprise me thought if they just didn't care.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger