Monday, December 21, 2009

Day One

So I am sixteen weeks out from my half marathon. I officially began my training today because I wanted to get into the rhythm of it even though it is four weeks too early. I am going to repeat the first two weeks until January 18th, when I will start the program.
So today was just a typical Monday morning where nothing seems to go your way. I decided to go the gym and packed everything and loaded everyone into the car. I got halfway there and realized that I forgot my IPod. Now, I cannot run without something in my ear. Even if I had just my headphones it would have been okay because I could have plugged them in to the TV on the treadmill, but I had nothing. I wanted to be able to do my best so I turned around and drove home to get them; not a good start to my training!! When we did finally make it there and I got the kids dropped off at the childcare, I was hoping one of my preferred treadmills would be open. During peak workout times (which I haven't quite figured out what these are; sometimes it will be peak time when there are only two or three treadmills being used) you can only use each piece of cardio equipment for thirty minutes. But there are two treadmills that are different from the rest that are always set at sixty minutes, peak time or not. One of those was taken and the other had the TV broken (I know it might sound lame that I have to watch TV while running, but I need something to focus on or I will stare mindlessly at the calories burned, the minutes I've ticked off and the tenths of a mile creeping by. It will all go so slowly and I have to stave off that boredom to succeed in a run). Anyhow, I had to get on another treadmill and of course it was "peak time" (despite the fact that not all of the treadmills were even in use) so I only had thirty minutes. I haven't run three miles in thirty minutes before and I hadn't run in three days so I set a slow pace (5.5mph or a 10:54 mile) and figured I would just do my best. I was feeling good and it was going by quickly but for some reason around 1.6 miles I got a cramp (A CRAMP!). What the heck?? I haven't gotten one of those since I started running and now that I am really getting into it a cramp kicks in? I ran through it and it eventually went away, but I was just annoyed to say the least. Finally around 2.25 miles I started running 6mph and at 2.5 miles I started at 6.5mph. By 2.75 I was up to 7mph, which I continued until my time was up and I had completed 2.95 miles. I know that I don't have to do EXACTLY three miles, but it annoys me that I couldn't get that last .05 in. And besides that I couldn't walk for a bit to cool down, so I hopped on an elliptical instead to do that.
Tomorrow is my easy day where I only have to run two miles. I am going to push myself to do that at a faster pace than normal and see how I feel when I finish. I have to laugh when I read some of the things I just wrote. It wasn't long ago where running a mile seemed insurmountable to me and now I am talking about an easy run of two miles. Before you know it I will be telling you that my "easy run" is ten miles ;).
And on the weight loss front I am doing great. I have set a new goal weight for myself and have about ten more pounds to lose. I am extremely happy with where I am now and what I have accomplished. I am thrilled that the weight is still coming off even though I allow myself to induldge in sweets and junk quite a bit. Not nearly as much as I used to years ago, but I will admit to eating something sweet every day. I figure since I am burning off a bunch of calories running I deserve it!!
Stay tuned for more exciting running news to come!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger