Friday, December 18, 2009

A Few Things I Have Learned...

...since beginning my journey toward running a half marathon (in no particular order).

1. I can usually push myself harder than I think I can. I don't mean I am running my body into the ground and gasping for breath as I struggle to finish a long run. No. I just mean that I tend to get bored when I run (it doesn't matter if it's on the treadmill or outside, although for some reason it happens more during my runs outside, go figure). And if I am bored then I am more likely to stop and it won't be because I am tired or I can't do it. It's just because I don't want to anymore. So I've had to push myself harder, tell myself to stop slacking and that yes, I can run that extra mile or half mile or whatever it may be. If I can't push myself to my fullest potential now, there really is no hope of me getting through thirteen miles.

2. I forgot how good it feels to stretch. And I forgot how important it is to stretch. I stretch all the time now. I stretch before I run, I stretch after I run, I stretch on days I don't run, I stretch at night, in the morning, whenever I can. It feels good to get those muscles loose. And it is one of the most important things I can do to keep my body healthy.

3. Rest is essential. When I started running I would go five times a week and run 2-3 miles. This is stupid. I've realized that four is the perfect amount (as the training schedules I've found have called for). If I stayed on that path of running, I would never be able to work up to running longer distances because I would be too tired and too sore. This week I ran three days in a row, 2-3 miles each time and rested all of Wednesday and up until Thursday evening. I was able to run four miles easily that night and I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I let my body rest. It's important to give my body a break from running. The training schedule calls for a day of cross training so I will still be going to the gym five times a week and getting cardio in, but it will be in different forms.

I am just excited to begin the training schedule. Technically it is a twelve week program and so I am waiting until mid-January to really start, but beginning next week I'm going to impliment the first two weeks and repeat them until the real training begins. I think this will give me a better idea as to what I am capable of. Will I be able to complete a four or five mile long run at the end of the week? It will be interesting to see.

I also find that running tends to be a lot of mind over matter. If I go into the gym telling myself that I am running two miles then that is when I tend to get tired - and I never do just two miles, I always stretch it to three. But that last mile is hard to complete because I have set myself up in my mind to only run two miles. If I go into my run with my focus on three or four miles, then I can achieve it because I will not let myself complete any less.

I know this is probably boring. After all, running in itself is pretty boring. But I must say, there is something magical about a morning run. I had the opportunity to do a morning run on an absolutely gorgeous day in California a month ago and it was spectacular. I haven't had that opportunity here, it's been very cold the times I've gone out. But it is so peaceful and I feel so alive.

Anyway, I just wanted to keep a record of my journey. I know I will look back someday and be glad that I wrote all my feelings. Who knows, maybe this won't be the last half marathon I do. But I am just taking it one step at a time for now.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger