Sunday, March 7, 2010

Through a runner's eyes

Richard says that I see the world through a runner's eyes now and I think he's right. I completed a nine mile run today and feel so good about myself. Yesterday I went to the sports store to stock up on some GU and possibly get some new clothes. I saw that there was rain in the forecast for Sunday and that prompted me to examine my running clothing. Most, if not all, of what I own is made for warm temperatures; I have lots of shorts, tank tops and short sleeve tech ts. I hate to run in pants, but I will run in capris and unfortunately my yoga capris are a) all the wrong material for rain and b) way too big! I was thrilled to find some dry fit pants at Academy for $2.88!!! I tried them on and everything and they fit well and didn't seem to fall off. I had my doubts; after all, how great of quality can $2 pants be? I also bought a dry fit long sleeve shirt. I was SO glad I bought these items and they really worked out well. I felt a lot cooler and lighter running because the clothes don't soak up the sweat like regular cotton does. What a difference that makes! I knew if it rained on me and I didn't have these clothes I would be really hating life!
I woke up tired and unmotivated to run, but I knew I had no choice. I dressed in my new clothes, which gave me a little happiness (as new clothes always do!), but I was having trouble shaking the sleep from my eyes. I ate a small bagel, got my iPod, GU, running pack and watch together and stepped outside. I checked the forecast and saw that if I could keep the run under two hours I *should* be fine and not get rained on. It was cloudy out and not particularly cold luckily; I think it's pretty much the perfect running weather. I took a similar route that I had taken on my long eight mile run two weeks back, but this time I went farther. I conquered more hills and ate more GU along the way to keep up my energy. I ran almost to the soccer fields that Calli plays at, which turned out to be about three and a half miles and then turned around to head back. There is one big hill in particular that is on my route home that I always dread. And in fact before I went up it I decided to run some circles around a park to avoid it. I finally realized I had put it off long enough and just did it. I felt like the Little Engine That Could: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. I kept telling myself that I could do it and that I WAS doing it. Reaching the top of tough hills is so gratifying and I recovered pretty quickly.
I was at nearly seven miles when I made it back to my house, just two more miles to go. This is where it always gets sticky for me and I am ready for the run to be over. But once I reach that two miles to go and then get UNDER it I tell myself I have one mile and some change. My running is so mental for me and I have to give myself pep talks as I go. Finally I made my final laps around the neighborhood and ended at nine miles in front of my home. I finished in about 1:40 and was sooooo glad to be done! The rain had held off miraculously and I was just starting to feel a few sprinkles on my final quarter mile. I faced some minor winds that tried to push me back, but I charged through! I wasn't as tired as I had been at the end of my race last week, but I was tired nonetheless and am glad that I have a week before I have to do TEN miles. I burned 1,000 calories on this run!!
So now I see the world from the perspective of us runners and bikers and it is not a very friendly one. There are very, very, very few bike paths here and not very much in the way of shoulders or sidewalks to run on. I can't say I would feel safe running on the shoulder of a road anyway because people here tend to use them as lanes (what is up with that anyway??). So my plea for San Antonio is this: make it a more running/biking friendly city! It is one of the leading cities for obesity and the lack of exercise friendly amenities make me see part of the reason why. If we had more, maybe people would get off their lazy behinds and go for a walk or a bike ride? Just a theory. Stop building the fast food chains on every corner and put in a bike lane or two!! Or a sidewalk for me to run on. As much as I enjoy where they break off and I have to run on the uneven grass or the street with NO shoulder, I would like MORE. I know, I know: write my congressman right?
So it was a good run that capped off a tumultuous running week for me. I had ups and downs and hope to be back to running four times next week and enter into the double digit mileage next weekend. I'm scared, but excited. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

Good job!! 9 miles is hard and a big accomplishment!! You're doing great!
I am taking this week off. I feel burned out and my body is hating me so I am taking off my low runs and then I will do my 19 on Friday this week!!! I am scared but, I feel like I can do it. My friend is going to run the last 4 with me so hopefully that will give me some good motivation or at least someone to call 911 when I kill over!!!
Can't wait to hear about your 10!

Powered By Blogger