Thursday, January 21, 2010

Running Shoes

We were in the car yesterday going to get me some new running shoes and a commercial came on the radio talking about a half marathon and marathon race. I was semi paying attention to it, but I remember thinking "I wonder if Calli is paying attention and knows anything..." I don't know why I would think this and I don't even know that I have mentioned much to her about my race, but sure enough a few seconds after the commercial ended I hear, "Mommy, that's what you are doing, a marathon!" I smiled and told her "yes, Mommy is running a HALF marathon" and isn't she smart! I think the lesson here is to watch what you say because you never know when your kids are listening!!
So I went to a great little store on the opposite side of town (near where we used to live and if we lost our marbles and decided to stay here I much prefer that side actually) that sells running shoes and other running essentials. The salesman who helped me was a runner himself; a grandfather of four who competes in marathons and half marathons on a regular basis and is waiting to see if he is going to make the lottery for the New York marathon. Wow, talk about inspirational! He evaluated my feet and the way I walk (I overpronate just a little) and recommended some shoes. I had brought in the ones I had been wearing and he told me right away there's no doubt that they were the reason for my injury. While the Aasics I own are decent gym shoes, for serious running they seriously suck. I tried on two pairs of shoes with much more cushion and am excited to give them a go on Saturday. They are NIKES of all brands; I have always thought of myself as a Nike girl above all others so maybe that is a positive sign :). I left the store with a great new pair of shoes that didn't even break the bank and some packets of gel (these are like little bursts of energy in the forms of flavored gels that you take a few times during the course of a long run).
And can I say how well behaved my children were? Before we went into the store I told them that I needed them to be good while I tried on shoes (Jameson of course told me "yes Mommy, I will do whatever you say!"). For the first few minutes they hung out quietly by my side until a very nice sales associate pointed out a small bucket of toys hidden in the corner. Then the girls made their way over to them and quietly played and even brought their brother some toys to chew on - I mean play with. I didn't have to utter a single "shhhh" or "no fighting" or "be good!!" the entire time. When it was time to leave they picked up all the toys and we left. I think maybe I should use this BE GOOD tactic more often :)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger