Monday, January 11, 2010

Week Three

Last week was probably my most difficult week I've had since I started running two months ago. I know there will be many more to come, but I am a little discouraged for now. On Monday I headed to a very crowded gym and started off the week with a great three mile run. However, I'm realizing that in order to get a treadmill in the mornings I'm going to have to be there right when the childcare opens at 8am so this will mean quite a few early Monday and Wednesday mornings. I am lucky that Tuesday is my light day and I don't have to run as far (I could also cross train on the elliptical or bike, but I just like to run) because I can't get to the gym until after 9am after dropping Calli off at preschool. On Tuesday I had a great two mile run. I set my pace for a 9:13 mile at a one incline and finished the two miles in about eighteen minutes. For the last half mile or so I had my pace somewhere in the high 8 minutes. I felt really good about that run and knew that it would make going longer distances the next few times easier if I pushed myself on the very short runs. On Wednesday I absolutely had to get to the doctor to deal with my gross allergies so I wasn't able to go in the morning. I had to squeeze in gym time after Calli's dance that afternoon. The kids and I left from there, changed in the car and went to the YMCA so I could run my three miles. That was the run that I started feeling more sore than normal and the next day I was really feeling it. But I felt lucky that I had two days for some R&R and thought for sure I would be ready for my five mile run on Saturday morning.
Well Saturday morning came and I was still not feeling my best, but I really really wanted to get my run in. It was 19 degrees outside when we made our way to the gym at 8am. The best treadmill was open for me, guaranteeing that I would be able to do the long run since I had an hour on the machine. When I started running I immediately had my doubts if I would be able to finish. For whatever stupid reason, I am one of those people that tries to push through the pain instead of resting myself. After the first mile I was starting to feel a little better but was still in a noticeable amount of pain. I completed a little over five miles and it was amazing to me that when I stopped to walk at the end, I wasn't even out of breath. I could breathe normally through my nose and wasn't panting at all. I was kind of disappointed because if my muscles had felt better I would have gone for six miles.
So now here I sit: Monday morning, having completed a three and a half mile run earlier and feeling no better than the other day. I had a day of rest on Sunday and after spending most of Saturday in quiet agony, I was feeling considerably better. I felt about the same today and decided to forego rest and get to the gym bright and early. Today begins the week when I leave my three mile runs behind and add half a mile to them. When I began the run this morning I was not feeling good, but again, I just decided to push through it. After a few hours of resting, I feel better, but what does that even mean? Am I going to feel crappy again for my run tomorrow and the next day?
So in light of that, I have decided to take it off this week. I will see how I feel Saturday and possibly attempt my long run. I am just so mad!! I feel like I will suffer a huge setback and I have been doing so well. I do not want my endurance to be compromised, but if I injure myself further I might not be able to get back into running any time soon. It's very frustrating that just when I am really starting to get into running and I am finding myself able to complete longer distances and complete shorter distances without being tired, that I get injured and have to take a step back. I have been stretching like crazy trying to get through it and hope it will go away, but it's not helping much. And it's very hard to stretch your upper buttock/lower back!!
So I had both positive and negative things last week. All I can do is move forward and hope my body will want to move with me.

1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

It's far better to rest otherwise you could make it worse. It is not going to throw you off if you take a week or two off. It is more mental than physical when you have to do something like that (at least that is my opinion). I can relate to your concern though. I have a pinched nerve issue that stopped me from running for about 4 months last year. Lately I have been feeling twinges of it reacurring and it is freaking me out. I was supposed to run six miles and 3 miles this week only did two 3 mile runs. My mind is panicked but I knew I shouldn't push so I would have a better long run sat.
It sounds like your pace is awesome (you are already faster than I am!!) you are strong, young and healthy, your body will recover. Try not to overtrain though, 3 days a week is plenty and try not to pressure yourself too much! (I know, I know, I am the same way, it's hard not to).
I have faith in you though and I bet a day or two of rest will do you a lot of good. Good luck. Wish me luck on my 12 miler tomorrow!!! YIKES!

Powered By Blogger