Monday, January 4, 2010

Weekend Recap - Happy New Year!

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I ever thought New Year's Day was such a big deal. So what, the calendar flips from 2009-2010. We all have to write '10 instead of '09 (and we won't get the hang of it until we are halfway through 2010. Heck I am having problems even typing it!). The appeal of staying up until midnight to ring in the new year has worn off. Guess what? It will still be 2010 when I am woken up at 7am. Why in the H-E-double hockey sticks would I want to stay up until 12am when I can get in many more hours of precious sleep before that? Well, that's what I thought and I won't even go into the fact that every moron for miles around was lighting off fireworks at midnight. It sounded like some of them were hitting my house when it woke me up at 12am. It was ridiculous. Yeah, not even going to go there, I am putting it behind me and moving on..........

Anyway, I am also not big on New Year's Resolutions. Never really made 'em and never really wanted to. My weight loss started a few months ago and the marathon goal came up around that time too and I didn't need to wait until New Year's to come up with it. In fact, I think the whole idea is silly. Why can't we vow to be better people any time of the year? Why let ourselves slack off, be unhealthy, be terrible people most of the year and then suddenly decide that's going to change January 1st, only to give up (if you're lucky) two months later?

This year I have a resolution: BE A BETTER MOTHER. I know this sounds silly, but it is personal to me. I want to be a better mom to my kids, I want to yell less, hug more and do things together. I want to spend more one on one time with each of them. When you have multiple kids; when you have THREE kids; when you have three kids in four years, finding special time for each one of them can be a challenge. Jameson is still a baby so I get a little break there, but Calli needs it and Serena is at the age now where she needs the time too. So I am vowing to set aside some time every other day for each kid. With Calli it will be pretty easy: we can play board games, read books, watch a movie together. Serena presents a more difficult challenge as her attention span is very short, but one on one time with her is crucial, given that she is the middle child.

So that is my challenge for this year that I am going to stick to and make work. I have started trying to improve all aspects of my life physically and mentally and I feel this is the last step. I am not disappointed in the mom that I am, but I know I can be better. I know I can have more patience. I know I can teach more, I can listen more, I can spend more time with them.

On to the recap:

Thursday was New Year's Eve (and Grandpa Bob's birthday!!!) and Richard had to work. I met a friend at the mall and we had a lot of fun. We went to a bookstore that is going out of business and got tons of books for 40-60% off. I got the kids my absolute favorite childhood book The Giving Tree for 40% off so I was stoked. After book shopping we had lunch at McDonalds in the food court, where we ran into Calli's school crush, I mean playmate and she couldn't stop talking about him for the rest of the time we were at the mall. We played in the play area and then did a little shoe shopping. Nothing makes me feel good like new books and a new pair of shoes so my day was pretty incredible. When Richard got home from work we had an early dinner at Red Robin and then spent the rest of the evening at home watching a movie when the kids went to bed. I couldn't believe they slept through all the fireworks; wish I could have been so lucky!

New Year's Day I made breakfast and we spent the day hanging out around the house. On Saturday we finally got out and went to Chuck E Cheese and then had dinner at a new Carls Jr. near us. It took them forever to finally put this fast food chain in San Antonio and when they did, the locations were all across town. Finally this new one opened up a couple months ago so this was the first time we went. Something to file under ONLY IN SAN ANTONIO: a mariachi band performs there EVERY NIGHT. I have no words, so I will just leave it at that.

Sunday was the last day that Sea World was open for the season so we were all prepared to go until I looked at our season passes and realized the kind we had bought expired on 12/31. I was majorly disappointed, but what can ya do? We ended up heading to the grocery store to get some much needed grocery shopping done, but I tell ya, I had some major gripes about that! We went to Super Target and althought I LOVE Target, it is not a grocery store. Sure you can throw the word Super in front of it and put a few aisles of groceries and pretend to be a grocery store...but if you have ever been in a REAL grocery chain you know Super Target is just not it. Their meat quality is far superior to the only grocery store I DO have in town so when I need to buy meat I choose to shop at Target. However, they were out of so much stuff, it was ridiculous. I mean, no potatoes, seriously?? I also kind of hate supporting HEB just because I can't stand that they have a monopoly here, but that is a battle I am not going to win. I look forward to the day I never have to step foot in one of those stores again and can actually get some decent produce, meat and non HEB brand foods from a different chain. Rant over.
Here are some happier things: pictures!

Serena got this stroller for Christmas. I thought it would be cute to put Jameson in it and have her push him around. As you can see, he is way too big for it!
Our sweet boy is crawling! Well, he is scooting technically. He pulls himself along to get whatever he wants. He gets up on his knees and hands a lot and rocks back and forth like crazy, but hasn't figured out how to put that together quite yet. No matter, I am just happy that he is on the move and can be more easily entertained!
Sisters are so sweet!
I was reliving my childhood days. I can't believe I even fit in this thing, but I had fun driving around ;)
Serena wanted a turn too, she is a pretty good driver.

Serena being silly (that is meatloaf that she decimated on her plate)
Calli (not) eating her dinner
Jameson!!
So I know I am biased, but I look at this picture and can't help but thing that I have the cutest kids EVER!
Serena was pushing Jameson around in this car. He was having a blast!
And then I put the two of them in the Barbie jeep and a neighbor friend helped get them down the driveway.
Here are some photos from Chuck E Cheese. The kids had so much fun (as you can see, Jameson had the MOST fun).



1 comment:

dennisandsong said...

CUUUUTE kids!! Love all the pics!

Powered By Blogger